Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 5 August 2019

A perfect Summer for insectivorous plants

As you may recall, I have a growing collection of insectivorous plants, both in the garden and on my office window-sill. The wet, warm spells with intervening sunny periods has produced plenty of flying insects for them to trap and all of them have flourished. Every species has reproduced both vegetatively and sexually: the butterworts in particular have done really well.

When I bought the first (a Sarracenia pitcher plant) I wasn't optimistic about them surviving the winter, but as far as I know I haven't lost any in five years. Spectacular, intriguing and good at eliminating gnats from the office: you'd be surprised how easy they are to keep! I have five species of Pitcher Plant, four Sundews, two Butterworts and several Venus Flytraps.







No comments: