Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 28 February 2022

What price can you put on nostalgia?

When you get right down to it, the urge to collect seems to be a deeply ingrained part of British culture: whether it's stamps, china, postcards or ticks on a bird database, most of us have collected something at some stage...

Many years ago I helped run a coin and stamp shop in Romford, Essex: this gave me access to some incredible coins at bargain prices. I look back wistfully on the Roman Imperial type-set I put together: sestertii, denarii and aurii of every Roman Emperor, from Augustus to Contantine. I even had denarii of Julius Caesar, Mark Anthony and Pompey. As often happens, a divorce thirty years ago necessitated their sale...

Although I still have a few interesting pieces, the only set of coins that remains is of British pennies from 1902 to 1966. This includes all but one of the rarer items: 1902 'low tide', 1912H, 1918 & 1919H & KN, 1950 and 1953. (H - Heaton - and KN - Kings Norton - refer to tiny letters to the left of the date on some pennies of those years: a shortage of coinage in circulation forced the mint to outsource production to two other metal works.) There is just one missing from the set (not counting 1933, of which only a handful were struck) Ironically, the missing date is 1951, the year of my birth. This is quite rare, having never been circulated in the UK - the entire production of 120,000 were sent to the 'colonies'.

The usual cost of a 1951 penny is in the region of £50 - £80 depending on condition. There's no way I can justify spending that sort of money, just to fill a gap in an album.... Or can I? 😉





No comments: