Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 22 August 2016

Glossy Ibis at Strumpshaw Fen

Linda and I were snowed under with work, carpet fitting and tree pruning today, but I escaped before lunch to look for the reported Glossy Ibis at the Fen.

As I walked past the sluice I met Elizabeth Dack, who was keen to tell me the bird had disappeared  "..but not before I'd taken eighty pictures at close range"' Hmmmm! LOL!

Undaunted, I pressed on to Tower Hide, picking up Green Sandpiper on the way. Only one other birder was in the hide: a really nice chap from Hethersett. We enjoyed watching the semi-resident 12+ Ruffs flying about, as well as a couple of Water Rails, at least three Garganey and a Snipe. After an hour's wait, I picked out the Ibis in the distance, flying in from the direction of Fen Hide. It hung around for perhaps another hour before flying back in the same direction. While it was present (albeit somewhat distantly) warden Ben and Strumpshaw regular Murray arrived to enjoy this welcome visitor.











No comments: