Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 27 September 2016

Waxham: more Yellow-browed Warblers and a bonus Clouded Yellow!

Another solo dart out to the coast: this time for a walk along the newly-created coastal path at Waxham. This leads in both directions from the site of the old Shangri-La: I headed south, scanning the sycamores and bushes as I walked. Lots of butterflies and dragonflies (a few Migrant Hawkers, but mostly Common & Ruddy Darters) but very few birds. A Merlin dashed across the fields, while Sparrowhawks and Kestrels hunted the dunes.

After a couple of miles I came across a charming middle-aged couple who'd pinned down a Yellow-browed in a sycamore. Frustratingly, my views were too brief (yet again!) for photos, but I saw it well as it flew off. I circled round to the top of the dunes and relocated it twice, but still a decent photo eludes me!

Several Stonechats popped up on the bushes and - best of all - a somewhat battered but still beautiful Clouded Yellow posed for photos. How green is that lovely eye?

On the way back to the van (see photo!) I heard two more YBWs and saw yet another...


 






No comments: