Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 15 December 2018

Smew at Filby Broad

With an hour or so free this morning, I dashed out to a windswept Filby Broad to see if I could collect the final sawbill I needed for the set this year. The viewing platform looking out over Ormesby Little Broad produced just a few common ducks, grebes and a Buzzard, so I walked back to the road bridge and fishing platform in the company of the single other birder present. No sign from the boardwalk, so we turned back toward the carpark. As I glanced north from the bridge I noticed the Smew (a redhead) perhaps fifty metres away: it flew over the road, allowing just a single shot, before landing at the far side of Filby Broad. Although it was continuously visible for the next ten minutes, it never swam any closer...  The only other birds of note were four female Goldeneye.




No comments: