Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 20 August 2022

Icterine Warbler: an unexpected treat!

Hoping to add Pied Flycatcher to the year list, I left home in the dark and drove the twenty miles to Winterton-on-Sea, which yesterday had played host to a couple of dozen. By the light of the waning Moon and four planets (Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) I walked through the southern dunes to the oaks, a clump of scrubby trees just past the Hermanus holiday centre. A slow circuit gave brief views (but no photos) of a couple of Pied Flies as well as a Muntjac and several Whitethroats.

As I was scanning the nearby sycamores, I met old acquaintance Keith B. We returned for a few more circuits of the oaks (while putting the world to rights!) before it was time for me to leave. Fortuitously, I bumped into three birders who had pinned down the previous day's Icterine Warbler. Despite the low light and the bird's hyperactivity, I managed a few photos, while a Hobby hunted overhead.








  



No comments: