Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 21 November 2022

The Orion Nebula and Pleiades

As is often the case with elderly gents like me, I was out of bed by 5.00am and I was pleased to see that the sky was absolutely clear and dark (the Moon hadn't risen until 4.00am, and was a very thin crescent in the east)

Orion was a magnificent sight in the south west, so I grabbed a couple of shots of the Orion Nebula, M42, using a 300mm lens and 'Astrotracer' function on my Pentax K3. Even with a fairly short exposure of around 20 seconds, there was still a bit of 'trailing', and it's difficult achieving a sharp focus manually on small objects like stars. Nevertheless, the images of M42 and the Pleiades are reasonable, I reckon.

Mars is just above Orion at the moment: very bright, very red! I have no idea what the coloured, wavy track was made by: satellites only move in straight lines!






No comments: