Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 29 December 2022

Birds of the year 2022

It has, as they say, been a funny old year: fairly uneventful spring and autumn passages (for me, at least) but I still achieved my highest annual total (249) since I began this blog 11 years ago. (Having said which: Linda and I both 'hit' the magical 300 year total back when we produced rare bird videos in the 90s)

I made no special long-distance birding trips, but a wedding in Devon, a holiday in Sussex with Mum-in-Law and a nostalgia visit to Bempton with a recently-bereaved friend obviously added a few species. 

Without particularly trying, I also saw - and photographed - 138 different species within 5km of the front door.

OK: here are the best, in monthly order:

Short-eared Owl, St Benets

Red-breasted Goose, Cley

Glossy Ibis, Rockland

Siberian Chiffchaff, my garden!

Raven, Holkham

American Wigeon, Potter Heigham

Lesser Grey Shrike, Hellesdon

Ring Ouzel, Hickling

Caspian Tern, Hickling

Dartford Warbler, Kelling heath

Spotted Sandpiper, Titchwell

Bee-eaters, Trimingham

Honey Buzzard, Swanton Novers

Icterine Warbler, Winterton

Grey Phalarope, Salthouse

Cirl Bunting, Devon

Great Bustards, Salisbury Plain

Long-billed Dowitcher, Cley

Slavonian Grebe, Whitlingham Lane

Waxwings, Sheringham

White-tailed Eagle, Holkham

Hume's Warbler, Brancaster

6 comments:

Unknown said...

As one who is no bird expert I would welcome the naming of the birds photographed - then I can see how many I got right!
Thank you
Sue

David Bryant said...

Done!
Did you get them all right? :)

Unknown said...

No, only 8.5 - why only 0.5? Didn’t get the right type of Shrike.
Maybe I will do better at the end of the coming year.
Thanks for the identifications.
Sue

David Bryant said...

My pleasure!
I didn't see a GGS this year: never got around to visiting the brief stayer in the Brecks...
Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Hi David, great pictures.
I also found the labelling of the pictures really helpful - thank you.
Any chance of getting to 250 tomorrow?
A very Happy New Year to you and Linda.
Best regards,
Dave.

David Bryant said...

Having downloaded both the BOU and UK 400 lists and having gone right through my blog and SD cards, I realise now that my list was in fact over 250! (Forgot Merlin, Manxie, Kittiwake, Red Foot etc etc!)