Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 14 December 2020

Iceland Gull at Weybourne - eventually!

It's been a while since I've managed a proper five mile walk: having type 2 Diabetes which I control by diet and exercise, I have been alarmed to see the 'numbers' rising over recent weeks. Today I decided on a morning out with plenty of walking, starting off at Filby. Just a few Goldeneye, so I considered moving on to Winterton to look for the long-staying Iceland Gulls. As I was walking back to the car park, I met a holiday maker from Essex who was staying at Weybourne for a few days. He told me that one or two Icelands have been easy to see on the beach there: seemed a better alternative to a long slog at Winterton.

An uneventful drive found me on the North Coast by 10.00am: having parked for free on the access road, I walked westwards along the gravel to the first grassy hill. Here I bumped into some acquaintances who I last met at Holkham Park: they'd just located the gull a further half mile along the beach near the 'pill box'. I pointed out a large flock of Scoter that reputedly held a couple of Velvets: neither they nor I could pick them out. 

I carried on almost as far as the pill box when a couple of walkers disturbed the Iceland Gull, causing it to fly towards me, before finally settling down to snooze on the beach. I took a few photos, then slogged back to the car, having added a bird to the year list and racked up my five miles!











No comments: