Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 4 December 2021

When is a Scaup not a Scaup?

When it's a 'funny' Tufted Duck! I grabbed the chance of a belated year-tick with a fifteen minute dash to Ormesby Broad to look for the reported female Scaup. Almost the first bird I saw looked good - briefly! On close inspection, I'm sure the bird was a hybrid of some description. Assuming the 'real' Scaup was on the other side of the road, I checked through a large flock of Coots: there seemed to be another possible - but again, it looked like a hybrid. Did I miss the bird - or was it never there in the first place?

Other birds at Ormesby or on the way home included lots of Pink Feet and a few Marsh Harriers.











2 comments:

Chris Small said...


The first one looks like a fine female Scaup to me David. Chris Small

David Bryant said...

Thanks Chris... It just looked a bit brownish!