Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 24 February 2019

Prehistoric teeth!

I may have mentioned that I have been a collector of fossils since I was a boy of six. A visit to Charmouth on a west country holiday in 1957 produced my first find: a pyritified ammonite (which I still have!) The photo below is me at around ten years of age with a big ammonite I wasn't allowed to bring home.

I don't have a huge collection - perhaps a couple of hundred specimens - but I have found virtually all of them, including ichthyosaur and plesiosaur vertebrae and limb bones, part of a mammoth's tusk and plenty of excellent trilobites.

At the mineral show yesterday, a fellow dealer was kind enough to give me a good deal on a couple of sauropod teeth: one is American and is probably from a Diplodocus, the other is from Morocco and is most likely that of a Rebacchisaurus, I suddenly realised I have the basis of a prehistoric tooth collection: watch this space!



No comments: