Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 7 June 2020

Birding light-weight!

I'm sitting here reflecting on the birds that have recently come and gone in the local area (ie: north and east Norfolk) without me making the effort to go and see them!
The list is quite a long one, including:

Woodchat
Red-backed Shrike
Rose-coloured Starling
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Squacco Heron
Montagu's Harrier


The main factor that held me back in May was the problems I thought I might encounter in trying to 'socially distance' at a twitch: I did intend going for the Squacco - Steve Gantlett was kind enough to e-mail me exact directions / parking etc - but the day I chose was a day too late! Today I keep nearly going out for the Caspian, but each time I start getting my gear together, the rain resumes! What happened to that impulsive twitcher of yesteryear who, at the drop of a hat,  would fly out of the school playground for a bird? I remember being late for my class's assembly once because I hung around too long at Spooner Row waiting for a group of Great Bustards to emerge from a rape field.

I suppose the issue here is: old age! Now I'm creaking towards seventy, with a life-list over 430, it gets harder to motivate myself to chase off in the rain for a year tick. I've seen every one of the species above on at least three occasions, after all. Truth be told, though, it's unlike me. I really would have loved to have seen the Broad-billed: it seems a long time since they were annual at Breydon Water. Now if only that Caspian will hang around until dawn...


No comments: