Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 27 June 2020

Mad Magazine: no wonder I turned out like I did!

When I was about eight, I started reading 'Mad' magazine: it was anarchic, satirical, funny and - above all - beautifully drawn. Until I was about fifteen, I bought every paperback compendium as it was released, as well as the 'comic' versions. In my opinion the level of the graphics went into decline around 1965 and the later books just weren't as interesting. The examples below ('The Wild One' and 'The Caine Mutiny' are both illustrated by my favourite artist Wallace Wood.

How many of you, I wonder, used to read 'Mad'? The paperbacks are quite valuable these days: most of mine have been reacquisitions from bookshops and carboots, since my youngest daughter 'borrowed' my collection ten years ago before unaccountably distancing herself!



No comments: