Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Blyth's Reed Warbler

This is how birding should be! This morning I drove into the car park of the little Pigney's Wood reserve near North Walsham, walked 100 yards and got some of the best pictures I've ever managed of a rare bird!

I've seen two Blyth's Reed Warblers (or perhaps three, if the Welche's Dam individual back in the 90's was indeed that species) but they were all Autumn / Winter birds and hence weren't singing. This one advertised its presence by warbling its head off for an hour: at times it was easy to see why the non-birder who first reported it thought it was a Nightingale! What's more, I can definitely confirm that the song I heard at Potter Heigham yesterday was identical!

Thinking I might as well ride my luck, I moved on to Roughton but an hour or so in all the right places failed to produce the reported Rose-coloured Starling. It was pleasant to pass the time chatting with local birder (and thatcher!)  Mick, as well as a charming lady cattle farmer from Essex.




No comments: