Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Snipe-fest at Strumpshaw.

Having lots of parcels to post, I thought I'd touch base with Brian at the Fen: Tuesday is his 'Ranger Day'! In the event I arrived well before him, and sat alone in Fen Hide for half an hour. A charming female bird photographer was just leaving as I arrived, mentioning in passing that there'd been nothing to see since 7.00am: as these things often go, the minute she closed the door a Kingfisher and a Stonechat put in distant appearances, as did three Chinese Water Deer....

Once Brian had arrived and drunk two cups of coffee, we moved on to the Tower Hide. The 'scrape' was crowded with wildfowl: Teal, Shoveler and Wigeon, with a few Gadwall. Snipe were everywhere: ten wandered about in front of the hide, while others 'whisped' about over the water! A distant Water Rail scuttled along the far shore as Marsh Harriers wheeled overhead. Not a bad place to be at any time - except the school holidays!

As I type this a Hedge Accentor is singing away in the fig tree by my window: now why couldn't it have been....














No comments: