Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 10 July 2020

Childhood memories: Comet Ikeya-Seki

I ventured up into the loft this morning and found the delightfully naive watercolour I did of Ikeya-Seki in 1965. (Be gentle: I was only fourteen!)

This was the first time that my big brother Rob and I had been 'allowed' to stay up all night observing. We had flasks of tea, sandwiches and blankets and spent the night in a meadow at the rear of our terraced house in Hornchurch, Essex. I imagine we were too excited to fall asleep, and we were awake pre-dawn as the comet rose above the roof-tops.

I still remember the frisson of excitement we both felt when 'At the Castle Gate' by Sibelius announced the start of 'Sky at Night' on TV: we were both astronomy freaks as kids and remain so to this day!


No comments: