Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 14 July 2020

Large Tortoiseshell at Strumpshaw Fen

I hadn't intended going out today - I've somewhat overdone the late nights / early mornings recently - but the lure of a Large Tortoiseshell just up the road proved irresistible! This is a species I've chased in the past, but never seen!

I arrived at Strumpshaw just before 7.00 am and decided on a walk around until the Sun came out. (In the event, it didn't!) Not too much about, TBH, but I came across a Treecreeper, a few Reed Buntings and a family group of Spotted Flycatchers.

Returning to the Visitor Centre, I was pleased to hear that the butterfly had been seen again, so I settled down and passed a pleasant hour chatting with Julia, a fellow lepi-togger! Eventually we managed decent views and reasonable photos: most gratifying!








No comments: