Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 23 July 2020

Comet Neowise: what a difference dark skies make!

My older brother Rob and his French wife Michelle have a cottage in Normandy to which they like to escape when they get a chance. He happened to be staying there during the second week of the comet's apparition and sent me the photographs below. Now here in Broadland our skies are pretty dark - I've been able to see objects as dim as the asteroid 4-Vesta and the planet Uranus with my naked eye: the 'Milky Way' is likewise always visible if there are no clouds. But look at Rob's first photo: the blue ion / plasma tail is bright and long and the dust tail extends upwards twice as far as I've seen it. What's more, Rob has captured a bolide (exploding meteor) and a faint satellite...
In the second photo, you can see the greenish tinge of the comet's head.

Incidentally: the ISS will pass over around 9.40 tonight - it will be very bright!


No comments: