Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Wednesday 26 January 2022

Short-eared Owls: finally!

An encouraging comment last night made me decide on a final visit to St Benet's in search of a Short-eared Owl. When I arrived at around 3.15, there hadn't been any action, but the gentleman who'd inspired the visit was already on site. After a further half hour all I'd managed was a distant Hen Harrier and some Pink-footed Geese. I was beginning to think I was going to be disappointed yet again when a gorgeous Barn Owl drifted in from the north. Then, perhaps fifteen minutes later, finally a superb Short-eared Owl arrived and began patrolling. By now the light was marginal for photography, but I had a bash anyway! What a bird! What a relief! So: many thanks to Roger for the encouragement...















2 comments:

John Ford said...

Persistence pays off and good photos in the falling light. I went there early afternoon yesterday but the light was awful all day, only Greylag and a marsh harrier on view.

David Bryant said...

Yes: fourth time lucky, John! I had to use a really high ISO, despite the clear sky...
Thanks for your comment!