Monday, 27 June 2016

Caspian Tern at Breydon Water: back for seconds!

On my way to post a few parcels, I detoured to Breydon Water for another look at the long-staying Caspian Tern. It's been around nearly as long as the Great Knot, so a lot of people are enjoying the chance to catch up with the species.

I walked along to the hide on a falling tide, meeting Steve Smith outside. The bird hadn't been seen for a while, so we had a 'mardle' before someone popped their head out of the hide to say the Caspian was on a distant sandbank.

After a good look through Steve's scope, I realised the bird would be much nearer if viewed from the south shore by the tern platforms, so I made the mile and a half walk. Of course, birds are almost always a long way away and in the heat haze at Breydon, but I was quite pleased with my pictures.

By the side of Breydon there were several clumps of Salsify - this time the purple colour variety. As I stopped to grab a photo, I heard the unmistakeable call of a quail of some kind: much softer and less staccato than 'our' quails, I guess this must have been the reported escaped bird.









4 comments:

Steve Smith said...

Hi Dave, tried to reply to your email re orchids on Lindisfarne and email was returned. Do you have another email you use?

David said...

Thanks for trying, Steve! I remembered what you said!
Many thanks!
David

Graham Stacey said...

Hi David, Good to meet you at Breydon Water on Monday. We are now back home in Wiltshire and were very happy to enjoy the Caspian Tern & Great Knot whilst on our visit. You're pictures of the tern are much better than mine. Best wishes Graham & Christine

David said...

Good to meet you both! What an excellent pair of birds to add to your holiday list!