Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 24 September 2018

Buckenham RSPB: Whinchats, Stonechats and Pectoral Sandpipers.

While Linda was giving her bees a good sorting out before the cold weather arrives, I took a quick run down to Buckenham for another look at the pair of Pec Sands that have been around since Saturday.

Lingwood birder Murray was on site and kindly showed me a Whinchat in his 'scope: since the Pecs were playing hard to get, I carried on to the anglers' car park for a closer look. In the event there were four Whinchats and three Stonechats along the fenceline: a mid-Yare record for me!

I walked back to a vantage point from which to scan the (distant) scrape and quickly located both the Pectoral Sandpipers feeding among the Ruff and Lapwing. I saw them in flight on a couple of occasions, but they never came particularly close (and, being a warm afternoon, the heat haze was ferocious compared to Saturday.)

Home to cook supper: langoustines and a bottle of Prosecco. Later, the full Moon was a splendid sight hanging above the eastern horizon.











No comments: