Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 15 September 2018

Remembering the Great War...

Today I'll be one of several speakers at an event commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War. My contribution will be to retell some of the stories I heard from relatives who'd fought in the conflict: my two grandfathers and a great uncle who actually flew as an observer in the Royal Flying Corps.

As I was searching for photos and the few surviving pieces of memorabilia I have to remind me of these long-departed relatives, it occurred to me that my generation is the last one that will have had the opportunity to hear first hand accounts of the two world wars (and the Korean conflict). Quite soon these terrible events will become just another couple of chapters in school history books or academic studies: sadly, some incredible tales of duty, bravery and personal sacrifice will disappear forever...




Robert Bryant, my paternal grandfather

John and Irene Robertson, my maternal grandparents

No comments: