Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 31 March 2020

Today's walk: all the regulars, plus two new species for the patch!

Near our house is a small, tree-girt reservoir: I've intended to take a look at it for a while, since it seems ideal for Downy Emeralds. Today I made a visit for the first time and was delighted to find that it exceeded my expectations! The surrounding woodland and streams were absolutely full of birds, including two species that are new for my patch list: Nuthatch (a pair) and Kingfisher. Additionally, I saw at least ten Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Song Thrushes, a male Blackcap, Wrens and lots of Chiffchaffs. As is the nature of dense woodland, not everything posed for the camera, but it was great to find such a terrific piece of habitat so close to home!

I carried on walking, taking a circular route of around five miles that led me to another new spot: a long corridor of grazing marsh and woodland. To my delight, I came across an active Badger sett! All the same species here as in the reservoir woods, but several Buzzards drifted overhead as the air warmed up. Eventually, after a few detours, I ended up on the bridal way past South Walsham Fen that leads back to Hemblington Church. More Buzzards and some delightful Yellowhammers kept me company as I slogged back home...




 
 




No comments: