Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 27 March 2020

Today's walk: raptors, Yellowhammers and a late Fieldfare!

I set off from my front door at around 07.15 today and walked the five mile loop to South Walsham Fen, via  High Noon Lane. There I bumped into an old birding friend enjoying a ride: since he's working from home, I won't name him!

I didn't really expect to see much, but in fact there were a few worthwhile odds and ends: a female Marsh Harrier by the Church, several Buzzards and Kestrels and - best of all - quite a few Yellowhammers. The bridle way by South Walsham Fen produced lots of Chiffchaffs and a male Blackcap, while the rough grazing by the Alpaca Farm held a colourful Starling and two Fieldfares. Lots of good birds to add to my 'lockdown list' if I kept one! I can add Tawny Owl to that: there was a male hooting away near the garden at dawn.

Finally: the hedgerows are beginning to blossom with violets, Primroses and Stitchwort - but can anyone help with this delicate lily-type flower? There were two on a local 'Roadside Nature Reserve'.
















No comments: